Posted on April 21, 2011 by the Website Workers Council
April 28 is an international commemoration day for injured workers and workers killed on the job. Join the California Coalition For Workers Memorial Day in San Francisco where workers and worker advocates will speak out to remember workers who have died on the job and workers who are fighting for their healthcare.
When: Thursday, April 28 at 7:00pm
Where: ILWU Local 34 Hall, 801 2nd St. at Embarcadero (MAP)
What: Public forum on health and safety in in the workplace
Sponsor: California Coalition for Workers Memorial Day
Contact: email lvpsf - at - labornet.org
Cost: Admission is free
The Peace and Freedom Party has not formally endorsed this event, but has endorsed Workers Memorial Day events in previous years.
Fight for Living, Remember The Dead
Workers will include TWU 250 A Muni operators, hospital workers and others will speak out on their health and safety conditions and the fight for justice on the job. Injured workers are being denied treatment as a result of the deregulation of workers comp in SB 899 and the permanent disability was cut by 50% with no vocational training for new jobs. In addition under insurance/employer/drug industry controlled ACOEM guidelines workers are being denied treatment for mold in the workplace and other serious workplace injuries.
We need to speak out to protect our health and safety and fight for healthcare for all.Initial List of Speakers:
- Dorian Maxwell, TWU 250, a SF Muni operator
- Daniel Berman, author of Death On The Job
- Trent Willis, ILWU Local 10, Coast Safety Committee member
- Ken Nishiyama Atha, Regional Director OSHA Regional Administrator Region 9
- Charles Rachlis, CAPS Industrial Hysienist Health & Safety officer
- Chris Coghlan, TWU 250, a Muni Operator
- Patrick Wilkes, Injured worker from Old Republic Title Company
- Mike Daly, Ironworkers Local 377, Delegate to San Francisco Labor Council
Sponsored by California Coalition For Workers Memorial Day, www.workersmemorialday.org
Endorsed by San Francisco Labor Council, AFL-CIO
If you would like to endorse and participate please email lvpsf - at - labornet.org