Posted on May 7, 2011 (updated May 10) by the Website Workers Council
The Peace and Freedom Party, Peace of the Action (POTA), Cindy Sheehan, United Progressives and several other entities are calling on us to occupy Sacramento beginning May 9, 2011.
When: Monday, May 9 through at least Friday, May 13
Where: State Capitol Building, Sacramento (MAP)
What: Round-the-clock demonstration
Sponsor: Peace of the Action
Contact: for contact info click here
Download, print and distribute these flyers:
- Peace and Freedom Party flyer (letter paper, print both sides, cut in half)
- Peace of the Action flyer (letter paper, one side)
The Peace and Freedom Party is a co-sponsor of this action.
We seek your endorsement for - and participation in - this occupation to strengthen our approach, our numbers, and our will.
No More Taxes for Wars & Occupations
No More Tax Breaks for the Rich & Their Corporations
To be clear, this is a march and strike in direct challenge to Governor Jerry Brown and the legislature’s austerity measures in California. The budget “fixes” proposed will come down on the backs of the most vulnerable, while continuing to provide corporate welfare, funds and use of California National Guard in wars of aggression, and a regressive tax structure.
We believe there is a better way:
- Close Corporate Tax Loopholes & Incentives
- Fully fund education and other social programs
- End state funding for National Guard Units leaving California
- Raise Taxes (Employ Austerity) on California’s 650,000 Millionaire Households
- Employ Massive Prison Reform & Drastically alter Criminalization Codes
- Bring Single-Payer Health Care to California
- Mandate and Create a Zero Carbon Economy to Mitigate Climate Change
All this is to say: End the financial and discriminatory wars on women, workers, unions, immigrants, indigenous peoples, disabled, and people of color, the poor, and homeless communities.
All this is to say: End the ecocidal war against the state and the planet.
All this is to say: End the cycle of perpetual war, occupation, and terrorism being conducted around the globe.
We recognize the work we do in California now can be a model employed in other states and nations, and likewise seek your support to galvanize the effort and spread the word to your members, friends, allies, and colleagues. We will share our successes and failures every step of the way, and will help organize in every other state and nation as appropriate.
The Plan: March. Strike. Occupy.